Whenever I have a day outdoors ahead of me, my thoughts inevitably turn to food(!) and this Dorset Apple Cake is one of my favourite backpack choices:
You will need:
450g cooking apples (such as Bramley)
juice of ½ lemon
225g butter, softened
280g golden caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
350g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
demerara sugar, to sprinkle
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (gas mark 4).
- Grease and line a rectangular baking tin (approx. 10”x7”)
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples then squeeze the lemon juice over
- Place the butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, cinnamon and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Take half of this mixture and spread evenly into the base of the prepared tin.
- Arrange half of the apple slices on top
- Repeat these layers.
- Sprinkle the top with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out of tin and peel off paper.
- Cut into squares.
Resist the temptation to eat it all at once!
Do you have a favourite recipe for a cake that travels well?